Every Sunday morning, I teach the 101 beginner's yoga class at Haute Solana Beach. It is, without a doubt, one of the best hours of my week. While there are some regulars who come every week, almost inevitably we will be joined by someone brand spanking new to yoga. The person may brave the unknown alone, or come in with their partner, spouse, friend, coworker. Sometimes they're dragged there by their yogi girlfriend, refusing to come without her on the mat next to him. They may be former athletes whose bodies no longer allow the full range of power or motion that they have enjoyed in the past. Sometimes they're there because their doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist recommended they add yoga to their weekly routine. Sometimes it's just curiosity that brings the person in for that first, fateful class.
Before the class begins, there's often a nervous energy radiating off of the new students. Trying to sit comfortably, even casually, like they're not freaked out to be there. They try to observe (without overtly staring) at the other students who may be doing some gentle twists or stretches, or may just be hanging out in child's pose. Some mimic those poses or stretches. Others just sit ramrod straight and wait for the class to begin.
As the class begins, it is my job to make the new students feel welcome and safe. I can have 15 regulars in the class, but if there is one new student, then he or she is the one I teach to. Because it is their first class. And making them feel comfortable, keeping them safe, and hopefully opening the door to this great new world is my job. I try to inject humor, humility, and (on a good day) some little pearls of wisdom. But I always want to make yoga feel accessible and nothing that has to be feared.
At the end of class, I always try to take a few minutes with the new yogis to check in with how they felt about the practice. Many talk of feeling relaxed, feeling good. Others admit they were terrified coming in. But to date I've never had someone say they didn't enjoy the experience. I'll often have these newbies in my class for a few weeks and then they stop coming. But then I'll run into them in a more 'advanced' class. They're often hooked and grateful for the support and encouragement that first class. What an amazing feeling -- to see them moving forward in their personal yoga journey.
That's why I love my Sundays.
No comments:
Post a Comment