Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The importance of smiling in your practice

We’ve all seen it.   The yoga practitioner who seems to be miserable during his or her practice.   Straining and grunting the entire way through, and then often getting up and bolting for the door the minute the class transitions into savasana.

Now, no judgment!   Who knows what they’ve gone through that day, what’s waiting for them at home, or any of the other umpteen million circumstances that are rolling around in their brains. 
Saying that, one of the best things about taking a yoga class to me is that moment in class when I realize I’m smiling.   It may be the first Surya Namaskara (sun salutation) in.   It could be when I find that little bit of extra lift and balance in Ardha Chandrasana (half moon pose).   It may when I totally lose my balance and come crashing inelegantly down.   But there is always that tipping point where bliss finds me back on the mat.

That’s not to say I won’t revert and get all up in my head during another pose… especially Ustrasana/camel pose… my nemesis!   But the smile inevitably returns.

If you’re looking for your smile, the most natural place to find it in yoga is during one of the many inversions that takes place.   Inversions are not limited to the full on headstand, handstand, peacock craziness you may see in advanced classes.   Inversions take place any time your head is beneath your heart.   Adho mukha svanasana (downward dog) or prasarita padottanasana (wide-angle forward bend) are perfect examples!

Smile because you’re happy to be practicing.   Smile because you’re doing so well.   Smile because you have the balance of a person standing up in a hammock today.   Smile because you look ridiculous.   Just smile because you’re there.  That, in itself, is worth smiling about.

No comments:

Post a Comment