Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Power of Music

This past Monday night I lead my classes at Haute Yoga with a change from the typical yoga music playlist.  After a request from a student last week, I built a playlist of classical music.  Not an "om namah shivaya" was uttered.  Instead we moved and strengthened and breathed to the sounds of pianos, violins and cellos.  The music was rich and powerful, and it was amazing at how much it changed the vibe of the two classes, as well as my Tuesday and Friday night Black Sheep classes.  I wanted to get a feel how a cross section of students responded to the change.  I have to say it was overwhelmingly positive.

Each pose felt long and luxiourious.  The transitions between poses felt like an opportunity to move with a fluid sort of grace that wasn't there before.  It felt elegant, powerful, and refined.  Definitely something I'll incorporate into more of my classes... especially those later-in-the-evening classes where it's less about getting all charged up and energized and more about finding that sweet transition down to relaxation.

I owe a big debt of gratitude to this site for giving me a jumping off place for building my own playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment