What can be said about day two of my Yoga Journal Conference experience. It was just as awesome, though totally different, as my day one.
Day two began with being able to sleep in an extra half an hour because we knew where to go. And off we went, my friend and I, back downtown to the hotel that was hosting the conference. (Sheraton downtown on Harbor Island... lovely facility, I must say!) My first session was back with Jill Miller! It was called Embodied Anatomy: Bony Landmarks and Fascia Geography. Wow. Just, wow. The class was fun, interactive, and just incredible. Described as follows:
Progress in yoga can be marred by injuries, imbalances, and repetitive stresses. Invite your body to become an ally, rather than an obstacle, by learning the language of its layers. We'll incorporate a hands-on approach with self-massage balls to increase your embodied anatomical familiarity. You'll learn basic bony landmarks that hold the keys to understanding multiple layers of your own myofascial geography. This portable, sustainable practice will help you to maintain your own body, prevent injuries, and improve your anatomical know-how.
How cool does that sound? I happened to end up in this class with the general manager of the Haute Yoga studios, and we both got so much out of it. We learned about fascia, the cobweb like fibers that more or less coat our muscles when we sleep or avoid movement. That's why we like to stretch when we wake up -- it 'melts' the cobwebs. If we stop moving, the fascia cobwebs just layer and layer upon each other, which builds up to more chronic stiffness. We literally watched a video of a cadaver being opened up to demonstrate the fascia build up. Amazing.
Next we moved to identifying the bony landmarks of our bodies. "Grab a marker," Jill said. She had these colorful, and thankfully washable, crayola markers and we partnered up to draw on each other, tracing out the eye socket, scapula spine, clavicle, tip of the humorous, and on and on and on. We looked hilarious after -- all painted up. But it was incredibly informative! We got a very clear vision of how different our bodies are structured. Sure, we have the same parts. But some collarbones are curved. Some are angled sharply. Some are flat. Some are bony. All of these difference affect how we move in and out of poses... or if we can even do them at all. So cool.
Session two was taught by Gary Kraftsow, the founder of the American Viniyoga Institute. What a guy. I have one of his videos, and really appreciate his style. He's all about therapeutic yoga... using yoga very mindfully by trained individuals to help treat and alleviate specific issues. His Sunday session that I took was called Common Aches and Pains: The Lower Back, Hips, and Sacrum, and it was described as:
Experience the successful National Institutes of Health--recognized Viniyoga protocol for lower back pain as we investigate the biomechanics of the lower back, sacrum, and hips and learn about the types of problems that can affect these areas.
We spent the first half getting a great lecture about anatomy and theory. One slightly strange thing from that was Gary kept checking in to make sure we wanted him to go one. I think he was concerned we were bored. He didn't seem to realize he had a very captive, very willing audience -- we were there for his knowledge! He certainly delivered. The later half of the class was spent doing a one hour practice. It was slow, gentle, and very mindful. I would love to find a way to study at the Viniyoga Institute one day. Bucket list!
Lunch break! I sort of just relaxed. Thought about attending a crystal bowl session, but it was just packed and I sort of needed some decompression time. I ended up sitting under a beautiful tree with a dear friend (ah, the friends you make in teacher trainings are there for life), and just relaxing. It was just what I needed. Went into my third and final session with Judith Lasater.
Session three, called The Shoulder: How to Open, Strengthen, and Repair, was described as follows: We'll learn the basic principles of the rotator cuff through a presentation of the anatomy and kinesiology of the shoulder. We'll then focus on poses that open and strengthen the shoulder joint.
It was another amazing session with Judith. We looked at anatomy and range of motion. Like yesterday's session 2 about the sacrioiliac joint, she was after us to stop always instructing students to 'relax the shoulders away from the ears' when arms are lifted. She demonstrated proper range of motion of the shoulder by outlining a woman's should blades and having her raise and lower the arms in various ways. Shoulder are supposed to rise! That's okay! Now, if your shoulders are cranked up, acting as earrings, then we have a problem. Try to relax them. But trying to jam shoulders down the back when the arms are lifted is actually anatomically damaging. WOW. Crazy.
Her sessions really drove home how many things teachers say or instruct that are pretty much just said because that's what we've heard. It's a scary and potentially dangerous habit. A bit of education can go a long way towards moving out of route sayings and more towards thoughtful instruction.
After that, my friend and I decided to stay for the closing savasana session that was led by the incredible David Swenson. I will admit I had the reflect to want to 'beat the traffic' and just haul ass home because, hey, the conference was done. But thankfully I realized I had no where I needed to be but there. This was my time. So we hunkered down for a long, extended savasana with a bit of guided meditation. Happy tears streamed down my face as I felt the peaceful, kind energy pulsing throughout the room. There had to be 300-400 people there, all being still, silent, and calm. Heaven.
My friend and I floated out of there, utterly blissed out. We drove home, agreeing that this was an experience of a lifetime. So much learned, so much experienced. Made new friends, formed deeper bonds with existing ones, and just felt connected to the greater yoga community. Apparently, the conference will be returning to San Diego in 2014, and you can bet your ass I'll be there.
Namaste, loves.
Wow - I just great both posts & it all sounds spectacular! I spent that weekend moving, but you can bet I'll be going in 2014! :)
ReplyDelete