About three o'clock, though, I got a little cranky and tired and wondered if I should just head home and start the weekend early with a glass of wine. When I suggested said possibility to my sweetie, he gave me a supportive buck up when he realized I wasn't physically tired or sore... just a bit sick of being at work. So I put on my big girl pants (aka, yoga capris), finished the "work" day and headed to the studio.
So glad I went. Matt's class was fantastic. I actually did my YogaWorks teacher training back with Matt in 2010, but I hadn't taken one of his classes in well over a year. Maybe even a year and a half. Outside of the studio, Matt is a hoot. A nerd's nerd, he's always talking about the latest movie (yes, we high-fived over the Avengers) or website. (Check out his awesome website, theyogablog.com.) He's also a total yogi health nut type, trying one cleanse or the next. He's the type of guy that you will hear statements like, "You know, Jimbos organic bananas are WAY better than the organic bananas from Whole Foods," or, "Man, I ate WAY too much fiber last night." He's delightful. And one a hell of a teacher.
The minute I stepped foot into the studio, all hesitation and crankiness evaporated. I felt right at home, and was able to shake off all of the funk from the work week and transition to the weekend. I quickly become absorbed in one of my favorite yoga sutras, 2:46, from The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali ... Sthira sukam asanam -- Asana is a steady comfortable posture. I managed to feel blissed out in each pose I did. Keeping my breath steady, never losing my smile. And then to reinforce this enjoyment, during the practice, Matt said the following, "Here in San Diego we always see all these surfers out in the water. Dozens of them, sitting on their boards. How can you tell who the best surfer is among them? It's the one having the most fun being out there. Same applies to yoga. The best yogi in the room isn't the person deepest into the pose, doing the hardest variation. It's the person who is enjoying themselves, breathing fully, and utterly content."
I love that. It's not about the struggle. Quite the opposite, actually. Yoga is about finding steadiness and ease in your postures, breath, and mind. I felt very solid in that in Matt's class. I felt like a very happy yogi.
Day 11
Classes Completed: 1
Hot 60B - 4:30pm - Matt Caron
Progress Towards Goal: 13/31
No comments:
Post a Comment