- In the month of May, I took 31 classes with 15 of the different teachers at Haute. I learned something cool from each and every one.
- I missed out on taking classes with 9 other Haute teacher with regular classes. While I have taken from a couple of those outside of this month's challenge, I really want to make sure I hit the others. I know I'll learn something from them, too.
- The sense of community that the challenge built was incredible. That's something that is not easily had in this world where were constantly running to or from something. I loved going through this challenge with the other teachers and clients of Haute. Seeing so many of the same faces in the classes I was taking, talking about progress made towards the goal, how we were feeling, etc... I made friends through this process.
- The new schedule is totally fun. The variety offered -- Yoga in Spanish, Hip Hop Yoga, Hiking Yoga, Vinyasa Skills... all of these classes were total blasts, and just fun ways to shake up the normal routine.
- The body is an incredible thing. Throughout the last month, I built strength, stamina, and flexibility. The body has the ability to subtly open up over days and weeks and months and years, assuming you approach it with care and ease.
- The body is a delicate thing. Throughout the last month, I had moments of weakness in my hamstring, knees, shoulder. Each incident made me feel both vulnerable but also appreciative of how easy I have it.
- I need to look into disability insurance. That same sense of vulnerability makes me understand more of something I learned from my teacher, Thomas Taubman. When you make your living from your body, it's a scary thing when your body can't perform. As a yoga teacher, you don't get paid if you don't work, and one major injury could affect your ability to teach.
- There is benefit to taking the same set sequence time and time again. You can refine your practice, track your progress, and lose yourself in the fact that your body knows what is coming and where to go.
- There are downfalls to taking the same sequence, time and time again. You run the risk of RSI (repetitive stress injuries), you may get too attached to the sequence ("you forgot thread the needle!!!"), and you may stop being truly present, listening to the instruction and variations being offered.
- As a teacher, I always try to avoid switching on a rote recall of the sequence and verbiage. I was inspired being in the hot classes with some teachers who had a way of making them feel totally unique. Weaving a theme or focus for the class that made it feel like a totally new experience.
- I know there are some people who want to do the same sequence, over and over, but I am not one of them. I love the variety and challenge that comes from classes that are as varied and challenging as the teachers. That's not to say I won't keep doing the hot flows at Haute. But if I have my druthers, I'd rather mix it up.
- Power Sculpt is definitely not my thing. And I'm okay with that.
- I never got in a yin yoga class, though I still really want to.
- I realized how important the music is, and how much I appreciated hearing songs that I haven't heard before. It's going to make me work to come up with some new playlists for my classes.
- The laundry portion of the challenge was a beast. I felt like I always had a load of damp yoga clothes waiting for me.
- I hit a wall, but it wasn't the wall I was expecting.
- I did something I thought my body would most likely never be capable of doing.
- Turning off one sense is a great way to make the others stronger.
- Eating well is important. I felt my most tired, not after intense classes, but if I hadn't been getting enough protein in at regular intervals throughout the day.
- I wish gas prices were lower.
- It feels really good to not be a slave to the little voice inside your head that whines about your obligations. "I don't wannnnnnna go take a class." "Too bad, you'll feel better after." And it's true. I always did.
- I want to avoid buying any black yoga clothes for the rest of the year. Thank god for stuff like this.
- I love practicing yoga with my mom.
- Taking down days is important. Whether to support a friend or just play hooky, I'm glad I never let the challenge become an obsession that overtook my life.
- I'm glad I blogged about this experience. Whether or not I'd do it on a public forum again, I'm not sure. (My poor facebook friends have to be sick of seeing these posts!) But it's a great record for me to have. I feel like I would have otherwise forgotten all of the little details and quirks along the way.
- I couldn't have done this challenge without the love and support of my honey, Scott. He did shopping, made meals, took on extra laundry, and more just to help me out. He made my life easier and better throughout this month. Well, he does that every month. But he found even more ways to support me this month. Thank you for that, sweet man. I love you.
- I often marvel at how incredible the teachers are at Haute. They are soooo talented. I feel incredibly blessed and humbled to teach amongst them. Some days I feel like I'll be exposed as an impostor. Until that day, I'll just feel really grateful to be there with them.
- It feels really good to achieve a goal set for yourself.
- I'm glad that the challenge is over.
- I'm also a little sad that it's done.
- I really, truly, utterly LOVE yoga. To my core, I know this is exactly where I'm meant to be.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Day 31: The day I compiled 31 lessons, realizations, and surprises from the challenge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment