Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Days 24 & 25: The days my knees hurt

My knees are not happy with me.  They are popping and cracking like crazy (feels like sandpaper, sounds like pop rocks) and in a state of pretty constant ache for the last week, though they're really flamed up the last couple of days.  I am kind of blue about it.  I took yesterday off to give them a break, but squeezed in the bulk of Rob's Hot 60A this morning after I taught, though with plenty of modifications.  I avoided any of the poses that have been putting pressure on my knees -- including the obvious deep runner's lunge, cat/cow, and pigeon, and even the more subtle low cobra and locust.

I'm just bummed.  While I've had some great steps forward during this challenge, I feel like I'm always nursing a demi-injury.  Nothing to take me out of the challenge completely, but enough to cause pain or discomfort and require lots of modifications.  I'm sick of it.  And I'm blue.  I'd kick the dirt, but you'd probably hear my knee pop if I tried.

It's strange, though, how the injuries keep shift.  Though, now that I think about it, I once heard that our body can really only process/prioritize pain from one site at a time.  It's a coping mechanism to keep the brain from being overwhelmed.  So maybe it's more a matter of the most prevalent problem getting full attention.  But my yoga butt issue feels 100% fine.  The little tweak in my shoulder hasn't bothered me in a couple of weeks.  But the knees... oof.  No likey.  And I hate being to the point where I'm taking advil to keep the pain down.  Prefer to avoid that, but it's past the point of being able to handle it without.

Feh.  Estoy funkified.

Okay!  Buck up, Clifton!  Shake it off.  Bodies hurt sometimes, and I know sore knees are far from lethal.  Focusing on the good from today:

1.  I totally enjoyed taking a headstand during the prasarita padottanasana portion of the sequence. Best of all, I moved into and out of the pose without ever worrying that I'd lose my balance and fall over backwards.
2.  I honored my edge, steering clear of any poses that did not make the knees happy.
3.  There were bolsters right behind me, so when I dropped into savasana early, I slid one under my knees and had five long minutes of happy comfort.

Alright.  Consider me bucked-up.  Only six days and six classes to go.  Tomorrow, Scott and I are going to do the Yoga Hiking out at Torrey Pines.  It sounds good to get some fresh air, mix things up a bit, and try something new.

Day 24Classes Taken: 0
Progress Towards Goal: 24/31

Day 25
Classes Completed: 1
Hot 60A - 7:00am - Rob Lucas
Progress Towards Goal: 25/31

No comments:

Post a Comment