Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 23: The day I reached another goal

On my 24th class of the challenge, on my god-knows-how many class of my life, I did something I had accepted my body may never be able to do.  Something I've been working towards with the understanding that not all bodies can do all things, and that's totally okay but lets see if we can get closer.  But low and behold, my body opened up yesterday and closed a gap of space for the first time.

Before I go on, I'll preface this by saying I am not a naturally flexible person.  With other little girls were throwing themselves into the splits, I was the tall gawky kid whose crotch (should you say crotch when talking about kids) was a good 18 inches from the ground.  When others could effortlessly do stand-up back bends, I would basically come crashing down to the earth, my spine being uncooperative in coiling back like a slinky.  But no matter!  I had spunk and I was tall so I could reach things these other little flexible girls couldn't.  haHA!

Add to that lack of flexibility the fact that for the last 15 years, the bulk of my work day has been spent at a desk, in front of the computer.  That causes two big things -- shortening of the hip flexors (what connects the front of your thighs/quads with your pelvis), and the tightening of the shoulders, as they're in a constant state of gently rounding forward to reach the keyboard.

So, until Tuesday, May 22, I had never, NEVER been able to touch my hands behind my back, as one does in Gomukhasana/cow face pose.  Where one elbow is up pointed towards the sky and the other elbow is pointed down at the earth.  Like so (thanks to this website for the pic):
I have consistently had a gap of several inches between my fingertips.  Reaching, aching, stretching them to meet to no success.

But guess what happened yesterday?

BAM!!

Victory is mine!  And not at all by accident.  For the last couple of months, virtually every time I do Vrksasana/tree pose in a class, instead of extending my arms up to the sky I work on my gomukhasana arms.  Even 30 seconds per side of attempting to bridge the gap is a wonderful shoulder stretch.  And then yesterday, in Jeanette's Hot 60B it actually happened.  My fingers touched.

I'll be honest, it initially scarred the crap out of me.  This is one of those funny poses where I had no idea how close I was getting.  But then one day, I felt something press into my left middle finger.  I thought someone behind me was poking me.  (Awesome body awareness, I realize.)  But then it dawned on me, that it had finally happened! Only on one side, sure, but I don't care!  Millimeter by millimeter, the body has/is opening, finding strength and space.

Out in the lobby, I wanted to grab the photo with Jeanette.  She is the world's best cheerleader and champion, overflowing with enthusiasm in all things.  Needless to say, she was pumped at my breakthrough. Also learned that by the end of class (having opened things up even more), I was actually able to make the connection on the second side as well.  Now, I can't this morning.  But I'm typing this in a pooffy white robe, so I'm not exactly warm.  Though I am cozy.

So, it was a good day.  I would have been 100% fine never being able to make that physical connection.  But I'm 100% stoked that I did.

Day 23
Classes Completed: 1
Hot 60B - 4:30pm - Jeanette Pearson
Progress Towards Goal: 24/231

No comments:

Post a Comment